Academy Player Liaison & Welfare Officer - Arsenal FC
Arsenal Football Academy has a development programme based at London Colney and Hale End, offering full time academics and football training for elite youth players.
The aim of Arsenal Football Academy is to centre each boy's progression as a footballer by providing a World Leading Youth Development programme. The programme promotes the development of genuinely elite training environments to consistently outperform international competition. By placing players at the heart of the programme the aim is to develop and grow future premier league players in an environment which is challenging, developmental and inspirational.
The coaching programme is the core activity of the Academy, which is supported by a fully integrated programme of Athletic Development, Education and Matches.
To provide player liaison and support welfare to players and their families within the Youth Academy at Hale End in the Foundation and Youth Development Phases. To provide a trusted contact point for players and parents and provide appropriate support sensitive to their needs. Player liaison duties are not limited to but include; building relationships with the players and their families, ensuring that the relevant stakeholders are kept appraised of players specific situations, and that any matters outside of the PLO's brief are directed or escalated to the relevant academy staff.
- To build and maintain relationships with players and their parents within the Youth Academy and build familiarity with players backgrounds and circumstances to ensure the Academy maintains a proactive and empathetic approach to relevant support needs.
- Ensure that all records are kept up to date and are accurate with the players current situation.
- To be available as a point of contact and support for parents, trialists and key guests at the Youth Academy Training Centre at Hale End.
- Be the first point of contact and be ready to respond in any player related emergency that may transpire. Act as the main point of contact for player families and staff in such a scenario.
- Build and maintain relationships with the key stakeholders e.g. Academy Manager, Football Operations Manager, Psychologist, Coaches, Medical Staff, Safeguarding staff etc, ensuring they are fully apprised of the youth player current situation, where relevant, and ensure that issues are highlighted and followed through to completion.
- Support the Host Family provision for players and trialists, where relevant.
- Coordinate the logistics to any critical injury provision in line with any Sports Science and Sports Medicine requests. Communication with immediate family and arrange family member travels to hospital and provide assistance and communication to key AFC personnel. Book accommodation and such arrangements.
- To project manage and coordinate, in collaboration with Youth Academy management, the annual Player and Parent Induction Programme for U9-U16 age groups (incl. preparation of the Player/Parent Handbooks)
- To be supported by and contribute to the work of the Wellbeing & Resilience Group (WRG) as required.
- Engage and support an ongoing meaningful Parent/Carer/Host Family interaction and education curriculum in line with the Parent Strategy Group
- To contribute and support the coordination of the holistic curriculum (psychology, personal development, player care & life skills) at Hale End.
Match/Event responsibilities and organisation
- This role will be based at Hale End and be primarily evenings and weekend work. This individual must also be prepared to be available and contactable out of hours.
- Willingness and ability to accompany, transport players and travel on trips and tours as and when needed.
MAIN JOB REQUIREMENTS AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
- Graduate calibre or equivalent or similar
- Previous extensive experience of working with children, young people and hard to reach clients/families.
- Experience in a similar role/sporting and pressurised environment would be preferred
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and experience of safeguarding.
- Ability to plan and deliver and collaborate workshops (e.g. Social Media use, Social Responsibility, etc) and training for players, staff and families.
- Administration experience within the sports sector, experience of advising and working in partnership with key stakeholders.
- First class IT skills including a strong working knowledge of all Microsoft applications, particularly databases/excel.
- Working and influencing in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Ability to organise and coordinate parent and child friendly interactive communication in collaboration Ability in organising and coordinating parent newsletters and other types of structured communication.
- Advanced communication and relationship management skills
- Exceptional organisation skills, including the proven ability to manage a fast-paced and varied workload.
- Able to communicate effectively with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders, adapting style and approach as and when required.
- Able to display the confidence, integrity and gravitas required to build sustainable relationships at varying levels.
- Results driven with a family focused and pragmatic approach.
- Flexible approach to work; committed to a positive team ethos.
- Operates with the upmost integrity, confidentiality and discretion.
- Create a safe and supportive environment for conversations or concerns to be raised. .